Friday, January 2, 2015

Something isn't right...Something is definitely wrong

After retiring, Dan began working for his brother's, Jimmy and Larry, who own a carpet store.  On a snowy, Winter day in 2005, Dan was outside at the loading dock, and unloading the box truck, when he fell out and hit his head on the ground.  Hitting his head rendered him unconscious.  He woke up, after an unknown period of time, covered in snow.  A second fall occurred weeks later, and he believed he was knocked unconscious again.

After these falls, things were never the same.  Something wasn't right.  Something was definitely wrong.  I was concerned.  Our relationship started to change with him needing so much assistance.

First, Dan began having heart problems.  He was exhausted.  He couldn't sit down without falling asleep.  At a doctor's visit we found out that his pulse rate was in the 30's.  The doctor thought it was a machine malfunction, but with the same results at the next appointment we knew it was truly a problem.  Then, I noticed Dan misplacing combs, nail clippers, keys, and at one point he couldn't find the remote to the television, which we later found in the pantry.  Next, Dan began experiencing a lot of anxiety.  He paced, and became very anxious around crowds, or with too much noise.  We altered our lifestyle, unable to stay for church functions in our church gym, or staying at parties with friends.  He became very dependent on me.

In June of 2006, we celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary.  With the changes in Dan, I was afraid we would never be able to celebrate our 50th.  All of our children and grandchildren, and many friends and family came to celebrate with us.  We made a lot of memories!

1st year of marriage to 40 years of marriage

Two weeks before our 40th Wedding Anniversary party, we took a motorcycle trip to Yellowstone National Park with our friends, Ray and Yvonne.  During the trip, Dan forgot how to back up the motorcycle, which was easily done by pulling a lever on the Goldwing.  Ray helped Dan, but he laughed about it and thought Dan was teasing.  Dan was always a big tease!  After this incident, it started setting in that we had a real problem when seeing Dan not able to perform a simple task.

We came home 2 days early from our trip.  Dan had anxiety about going through the mountain pass in Qurah, CO, and didn't feel he could make it safely.  I assured him it was fine to leave the next morning and go home.  He was relieved and brought us home safely.




I scheduled a doctor's visit for Dan and explained the concerns I was having.  The doctor asked Dan how he felt about this and Dan replied, "Everything is okay," denying any difficulties he was experiencing.

Six months later, Dan began to panic on the days when I went to work.  One day, he couldn't find his glasses, and was looking in a panic and asked me not to leave until we found them.  I found them on the kitchen counter, and he was relieved.

Another day, as I was running late for work, I asked Dan to fix me a bologna sandwich.  He said, "I don't know how."  I replied, "Get two slices of bread, two pieces of bologna, put some mayo on the bread, and put it in a sandwich bag."  He told me that I had given him too much information and he couldn't process what to do.  As I was preparing to leave, we had a discussion about his thinking process, and I let him know that the kids had noticed that something was not right, and we were all concerned.  I left the house with tears streaming down my face.  He called me on my way to work and said, "I'm sorry.  You are right.  I have known for a while that I have a problem.  Make me an appointment with the doctor and I will go."

Ginger ~ loving wife to Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment