Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The beginning of our marriage...

We had only been married four months when Dan had to report to his Navy base in Norfolk, VA.  It was October of 1966 when he boarded the USS Harold J. Ellison DD-864, a destroyer, also known as a "tin can" due to it's small size.  I wasn't able to join him in Virginia yet, but knew I would miss him terribly.

At that time, my sister, Sandy, lived in New Jersey and invited me to come stay with her and her family.  Dan could come visit me every other weekend at her home.  He hitchhiked on the turnpike to come see me.  Back in those days everyone would pick up a sailor, or anyone from the military and take them as far as they needed to go.  When Dan would get to an exit he would find a pay phone and let us know where to pick him up.

On Sundays, we would take him back to the turnpike, drop him off, and he would hitchhike back to his base.  He always made a collect call, asking for himself, so I would know it was him, and that he had made it safely, but without paying for the call.  I guess that was one way of working the system back then!  We were poor, but happy...and so in love.

We celebrated our first Christmas together in New Jersey on our six month anniversary!  I can't remember if we bought each other anything, but it didn't matter because we were together.  After Christmas, I returned to Kansas, and Dan returned to his base where he would head out to sea for maneuvers for 7 weeks.




When I returned to Kansas I worked at Mobil Oil Credit Card Center in downtown Kansas City, Missouri as a file clerk.  Several months went by, Dan finally got leave to come home, and took me back with him to Norfolk.  All of our belongings fit in the trunk, and back seat of our 1966 Mercury Comet!  We found a furnished  apartment, got settled in, and I got a job at Virginia Electric Power Company setting files to turn on, and off power for navy personnel, as these families moved a lot.

After six months, I returned to Kansas and went back to work at Mobil Oil Credit Card Center.  It was time for Dan to begin his journey in the ocean with the Navy.  Our time together was too short, and I longed for the day that he would return.

On November 2, 1967, his ship departed Norfolk and headed to San Juan, Puerto Rico.  From there, they were off to the Indian Ocean.  On November 12th, they crossed the equator, where those who had never crossed the equator before were initiated as Shell Backs.  This was a somewhat brutal tradition.  




After passing the equator, Dan's ship traveled to Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Madagascar, Ethiopia, Bahrain Island, Pakistan, French Somalia, Saudi Arabia, India, Mauritius, and Kenya.  Aside from the danger of the war, this was a photographers dream journey, and Dan made a lot of memories that he was able to share through his pictures.  I spent many evenings watching his slides from his Navy days!




Dan finally arrived back in Norfolk on May 14, 1968.  He had to wait for two weeks to get leave to come home.  It was torture knowing he was in the states, waiting, and we could not be together.  Finally, we were together, and he was able to take me back to Norfolk with him while he finished his remaining days of service to our country.

~Ginger~loving wife to Dan

In October of 1968, we packed our car, and headed home to our new jobs and to begin our lives...as civilians.


No comments:

Post a Comment